Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Yogurt, another Turkish staple.

After I published my last post, I realized that I completely forgot to list yogurt as another staple ingredient to have on hand.  I am not talking about light yogurt or flavored yogurt or even plain yogurt. I am not a fan of plain yogurt; I don't like the consistency or the flavor.  The must have yogurt to have on hand is Plain Greek Yogurt.  It is thick, sour and delicious and very useful in many great Turkish dishes.

It doesn't matter what brand, fat or no fat, but it must NOT be flavored.  I actually prefer to flavor my own yogurt using various jams, jellies or fresh fruits.  Yogurt can be made into soups, dips, drinks or incorporated into meatballs, potato dishes or egg dishes.  I was very surprised that yogurt is such a versatile ingredient.  I often find myself using it in place of sour cream.

So, keep some good plain greek yogurt on hand.  It's good for you and great for Turkish cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment