Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Typical Turkish Ingredients

Ok, so how many of you are thinking to yourselves, "What is Turkish cuisine?"  Where I live there is only one Turkish restaurant, and it is about an hour away and not that great.  After I learned many Turkish cuisine recipes and techniques from family members I was surprised to learn that Turkish food is delicious and easy to make.

So, how can we classify Turkish food?  The easiest thing to compare it to is the good ol' Mediterranean Diet.  Most dishes consist of meat and vegetables and usually have a small side of rice.  The American diet is very heavy with carbs and butter.  Turkish cooking uses a lot of olive oil and fresh ingredients.

I always stock my pantry with Turkish cooking staples so I can whip something up at any time.

Olive Oil (I buy my bottle at my local wholesale store)
Tomato Paste
Canned Tomatoes, any flavor
Onions
Potatoes
Eggs
Flour
Frozen Spinach
Red Pepper flakes
Dried Oregano
Dried Mint

If you stock your pantry with these items, I guarantee you can whip up an easy Turkish meal at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment